Saturday, May 28, 2011

Venturing out

      Our second day in Guam, we decided to go check out the Navy Base.  As I was getting directions from the concierge, I looked up to see one of our new friends that had met us at the airport.  She had come to invite us to attend the new church she and her husband were starting.  We chatted with her for quite a while, and she offered to show us around the island on Friday.  Then we headed out.           
      Driving in Guam was very easy and much like driving in the US.  I stopped to get gas and a young Chamorro gal came up to the window and offered to pump the gas for me--"It's included in the price," she said.  Nice!  We talked briefly about Guam and how we'd just moved here and she sent us on our way.   We get to the base by driving on Marine Corps drive right along the water most of the way.  The ocean is less than 20 feet from the road.  What a treat!

      Our first stop was Lance's office, which looked to be brand new and sat on the top of a hill.  He tells me it used to be a school building and has recently been completely renovated.  After we picked him up, we continued on in the same direction and discovered the most incredible views less than a minute past his office.  Wow!  It took 12 photos (4 panoramic shots) to capture the scene.
The mountains we see on the Navy base

Views on base

"I lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help"

Views on base

Views on base

On base

The view about 1 minute's drive from Lance's office

Driving down the hill from his office

Lance's office

The first of 4 panoramic shots

Shot #2 moving from left to right

Shot #3--it just keeps going and going

Shot #4--paste them all together and you'll see what we saw.  Wow!

     We headed to the base and saw beautiful blue sea and majestic mountains.  Tried to get all of our ID's made.  Succeeded with the kids but could not get mine.  They need to see a valid marriage license in order to issue me an ID.  What is it with that sneaky marriage license?  On our wedding day 17 years ago, we forgot to get the preacher to sign it.  Six months later (we must have needed it for something official) we discovered it wasn't signed and took it back to him for his signature.  He laughed and told us we'd been living in sin for 6 months!   Now where did we put that all-important document?  Can't they tell by looking at us that we're an old married couple? 
      After dropping Lance back at work, we went to check out the commissary and the new gym.  I had just been reading about the harmful effects of chlorine on the body a day or 2 before coming to Guam.  Since I enjoy swimming laps several times a week, I was fretting about swimming in all that chlorine.  Upon arriving in Guam, I learned from a new friend at the airport that the new swimming pool on base is a saltwater pool!  Another love note from God to me!
      While walking through the gym, I spotted a lady that looked really familiar and realized it was one of my Facebook friends whom I had never met.  She recognized me right away, too, and we hugged.  Then we stood and talked for 20 minutes like old friends.  After saying our good-byes, I headed off to take a quick glance at the pool before picking up Lance and ran into another Facebook friend that I recognized but had never met.  Chatted with her for a little while, too.  So neat!  I love Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment