Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Toilets and Toads

I learned the other day that Guam is not in the South Pacific like I thought but actually in the North Pacific Ocean, about 12 degrees north of the equator.  I happened to mention this to a friend, who replied, "Well, at least you know your toilet will flush the same way."  Huh?  Apparently, toilets in the northern hemisphere flush clockwise, while toilets in the southern hemisphere flush counterclockwise.  It works the same with the way the water drains from the sink and tub.  And if you live on the equator, I hear the water doesn't swirl at all, it just goes straight down.  Who knew?  My response was, "Well, I'll be at peace now knowing that among all the changes, at least I know my toilet will flush the same way!"
Of course when I posted this toilet fact on Facebook, someone said, "I'd worry less about how your toilet flushes and more about what might be crawling up your toilet."  My contact in Guam confirmed this concern, saying she has found very large centipedes and toads in her toilet.  YIKES!!!!!  If we take the cat, will the toilets stay pest-free?
By the way, remember those dinner-plate sized toads I mentioned in my last post?  I found out they are poisonous.  I've included a photo of the cane toad with a common frog on its head.  I think I want to come home, and I haven't even left yet!

1 comment:

  1. i thought we were coming to visit you guys... but after reading this we will be having second thoughts (;

    ReplyDelete